Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Weekend in New Orleans

I have been a Saints fan since I was 6 years old. Everyone always asks me why the New Orleans Saints are my favorite football team. After the first 6 years of my life I decided that I didn't like the Eagles. I loved sports though and decided I needed a favorite football team. The day I made that decision I went to K-mart with my Dad and requested an Icee from the K-Cafe. The large Icee cups were the plastic souvenir football ones. As it happened, the only team that they had was the lowly New Orleans Saints. It was destiny.. the Saints would be my team! They actually did pretty well that year going 9-7 behind Bobby Hebert and Dalton Hilliard on offense and the linebacker trio of Sam Mills, Rickey Jackson and Pat Swilling on defense.

Growing up a Saints fan around Philadelphia, I was constantly harassed for not liking the Eagles and loving the "Aint's". When I was probably around 11 years old, the Saints and Eagles played each other in the playoffs. I went with my family to visit my Uncles in Pennsylvania where we made a bet that if the Eagles won they would shave an Eagle in the back of my head. The Eagles ended up winning 36-20 and when they came after me with the razor I went running and screaming, crying my eyes out and locked myself in my mom's car. Luckily I never had to deal with the Eagle in my head. The next year or maybe two years later the Eagles and Saints played again. This time I watched the game with my Dad and a few of his cousins. Again the Eagles won and I watched the entire game with my Saints hat on top of the Christmas tree while being tortured and taunted.

The Saints finally won their first playoff game in 2000. In 2003, the Saints made a valiant run at the playoffs and still would have had a chance if this had not happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTGco82JKHo.

When he missed that extra point I was at a Chili's. I made sure to drink about 4 Presidente Margaritas to drown out the misery. In 2005, Hurricane Katrina ravaged New Orleans and forced the Saints to play their first home game against the Giants in the Meadowlands. I went to that game as well as their game in Philly against the Eagles and a game in Washington against the Redskins. The Saints first home game back in the Superdome against the Falcons was unbelievable. You could see what this team means to that city. I honestly might have teared up a bit during that game.

The 2009 season has been the best in the history of the Saints. They started out 13-0 and finished with a 13-3 record and the number 1 seed throughout the playoffs. I went to games in Philly (where the Saints destroyed the Eagles :) ), Tampa and Washington (this was one of my favorite Saints games of all time.) As soon as the Saints locked up the #1 seed I bought tickets for the game and made travel arrangements. I had always wanted to go to New Orleans but never had the money.

We flew into New Orleans on Friday the 15th around 3:30 and checked into the W New Orleans. Our first meal would be right across the street at a place I saw on Man vs. Food called Mother's. I got the John G. which is a Po' boy with Ham, Turkey, Roast beef and debris which is the little bits of pieces of roast beef that fall into the gravy along with shredded cabbage, pickles, mayo, creole and yellow mustard. Great, GREAT sandwich. Jody got a baked him Po' Boy. Here is my John G. below (keep in mind all pics were taken on my cell phone):



We took a quick nap and then headed out for dinner at 9:00 at Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse. This place came highly recommended and didn't disappoint. I had a Jack and Coke while we waited for our table. The restaurant was very nice and uniquely designed; apparently it used to be a parking garage. I ordered a planter's rum which was quite good and pretty strong. We didn't order any appetizers because I anticipated getting a big steak. Jody ordered a 12 oz. Filet and I got the special which was a 24 oz. Bone-in Ribeye. We also ordered garlic mashed potatoes and the absolute best asparagus either of us have ever eaten. My steak was perfect and definitely one of the top 5 steaks I've ever had. Here are the pictures:

Jody's steak:


My steak:


Mashed potatoes:


Asparagus:


For dessert, we had a Creole cheesecake.. forgot to take a picture of it though. Overall, a great meal with great service!

On Saturday, we took advantage of not having Ava with us and slept in. We went out to Bourbon street around 12:30 looking for some lunch but the city was mobbed and their were long waits at all the restaurants so we just went to Popeye's for a quick meal... Hey it is THE Louisiana kitchen. The energy in the city was intense. Everyone was wearing some sort of Saints garb and people were excited. Here is a picture of me before the game:



The game was obviously amazing and the crowd was soooo loud. There was such an eclectic mix of fans and I was really impressed by how many women were there and how crazy they were.

After the game we went to the Palace Cafe. This is another restaurant owned by Dickie Brennan. I got a Chicken and Sausage gumbo which was one of my favorite soups I've ever eaten. Jody got a spinach salad with bacon and a delicious vinaigrette. Jody got the Rotisserie Chicken aux Champignons Dusted with mushrooms and served with truffled mashed potatoes, lemon-arugula salad and finished with a Creole marchands de vin. I got the Andouille Crusted Fish
Pan-roasted and served with Crystal buerre-blanc, chive aoli, rissole potatoes and vegetable du jour. The fish was sheepshead which I'd never had before but was unbelievable. For dessert, I had a Sailor's coffee and Mississippi Mud pie. This was my favorite meal of the trip.

Pics:
Gumbo-


Salad-


Chicken-


Fish-


Dessert-


Overall, New Orleans was an amazing experience. The Saints play the Vikings today at 6:40. If they win they go to their first Super Bowl which will be played in Miami. I will be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment